05/18/2014 at 09:20 AM EDT

Avril Lavigne's ex husband, Deryck Whibley, has gone public about his battle with alcohol addiction in a candid post on his website that prompted Lavigne to Tweet her support.

The Sum41 singer warned fans about the dangers of drinking in a post titled 'Rock Bottom' on Friday that was accompanied by some shocking photos.

In the post Whibley explains to fans that he was in the hospital for a month after being sick for a few weeks leading up to that. 'The reason I got so sick is from all the hard boozing I've been doing over the years. It finally caught up to me,' he explained.

'I was drinking hard every day. Until one night. I was sitting at home, poured myself another drink around midnight and was about to watch a movie when all of a sudden I didn't feel so good. I then collapsed to the ground unconscious.'

The 34-year-old ended up in hospital in the intensive care unit, where he was completely sedated for the first week. When he finally woke up, 'I had no idea where I was,' he writes. 'I was so freaked out. My liver and kidneys collapsed on me. Needless to say it scared me straight. I finally realized I can't drink anymore. If I have one drink the docs say I will die.'

The singer, who divorced Lavigne in 2009, warns fans to always drink responsibly. 'I didn't, and look where that got me,' he writes.

Lavigne, who's now married to Nickelback's Chad Kroeger, Tweeted on Saturday that she had spoken to her ex. 'I am so proud of him,' she wrote. He is family to me and always will be. #StayStrongDeryck'

Spoke to @Sum41 Deryck today. I am so proud of him. He is family to me and always will be. #StayStrongDeryck- Avril Lavigne (@AvrilLavigne) May 17, 2014

Post By http://www.people.com/article/deryck-whibley-sum41-alcohol-hospital-intensive-care-avril-lavigne

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Word News © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Thanks to curly hairstyles
Top