;

Canucks legend Gino Odjick has been diagnosed with a rare terminal heart disease.

Odjick's letter to teammates and fans distributed by the Vancouver Canucks Thursday night says he was diagnosed with AL amyloidosis, a condition that causes abnormal protein to be produced and deposited on the heart.

'It's hardening my heart and my doctors aren't sure how long I have to live. Initially they thought years, but now they think it could be a lot less. I could be down to months or even weeks,' said Odjick in the letter.

Odjick says he was diagnosed days after Pat Quinn's ring of honour night in April and has been in the hospital under the supervision of doctors ever since.

Forty-three-year-old Quebec native played for a number of NHL teams, including the Vancouver Canucks, New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens and Philadelphia Flyers.

I feel very fortunate for the support I've received over the years. During my career I played in some great NHL cities including, Vancouver, Long Island, Philadelphia and Montreal. In my heart, I will always be a Canuck and I have always had a special relationship here with the fans, said Odjick in the letter.

Amyloidosis Foundation says AL amyloidosis is a rare disease with only 1200 to 3200 new cases reported each year in the United States.

The clinical course of AL amyloidosis is usually associated with rapid disease progression and involvement of multiple organ systems.

The Vancouver Canucks have set up a special page where fans can leave messages of support for Odjick.



Post By http://globalnews.ca/news/1419614/former-canuck-gino-odjick-diagnosed-with-terminal-disease/

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Word News © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Thanks to curly hairstyles
Top