Olympic diver, 19, did not confirm the identity of his boyfriend Said he was 'terrified' before posting the video message revealing his sexuality earlier this week But now Tom says he couldn't be happier, and that his life is now 'perfect'

By Hanna Flint

PUBLISHED: 19:40 EST, 4 December 2013 | UPDATED: 02:56 EST, 5 December 2013

Tom Daley has opened up about his gay relationship for the first time, admitting that it was him who made the first move with his boyfriend.

While the 19-year-old Olympic diver did not c onfirm the identity of his beau, rumoured to be American screenwriter, Dustin Lance Black, h e said during the interview on The Jonathan Ross Show that it was 'love at first sight'.

But Tom also revealed that making the decision to come out and reveal his sexuality was 'terrifying'.



Speaking about his new love, Tom said: ' I'd never felt like anything like it before. We were at a party and I hadn't even spoken to him all night. I didn't know what to do or if he was gay at first.'

But though the young sportsman may have been slightly unsure of himself, that didn't stop him from making his intentions clear with the object of his affection.



He said: 'I typed "call me" in his notes with a smiley face on this phone and the next day he texted. He makes me feel safe and happy, right now I couldn't be happier.'

On the ITV show - that will be aired on Saturday 7th December - Tom said: 'I'd never felt the feeling of love, it happened so quickly, I was completely overwhelmed by it to the point I can't get him out of my head all the time. I've never had it before where I love someone and they love me just as much.'

Neither Tom nor Milk screenwriter Dustin have confirmed or denied their union, but The Sun newspaper reports that they met at London's Soho Hotel in the springtime.

Later in October this year, Tom and Dustin were spotted grabbing coffee together from a cafe in Los Angeles, where the Oscar-winning writer lives.

Asked why he hasn't identified his beau, Tom said: ' At the moment, I wouldn't like anything to change.

'I hope it doesn't get ruined by the media attention, everyone has been so supportive and I hope it continues that way. '

Tom also revealed that he didn't come out straight away because he felt his new found sexuality was 'like a dirty little secret' that made him feel 'alone and trapped', but by telling his best friend Sophie, the weight was lifted off his shoulders.

He said: 'I felt like there was something wrong with me, I didn't know other people out there felt that way, I felt so alone, so locked away and couldn't say anything.

'Now that everyone knows, I have nothing to hide, those chains that I felt wrapped around me are gone and I can carry on with my life as normal and be happy.'







And of his family's reaction to his news, Tom added: 'My family will always want to look out for me and not want me to get hurt but they were worried what the reaction would be like in case people would be horrible to me in the streets.

"Now that it's all happened they couldn't be happier, the support of the public has been an added bonus, it makes me smile to think about it - my life at the moment is perfect.'

Tom also credits his new beau for making him fall back in love with diving, having been disappointed by his performance at the London 2012 Olympics.

'He saved me from not wanting to dive anymore,' Tom said. 'After the Olympics I was down in the dumps, as it's such a hard way to get back into everything, but he gave me the extra motivation and made me work harder and that is exactly what I need.'

But while he's happy in his gay relationship, Tom says he doesn't want to label himself just yet.

He added: 'Everything is all pretty new so I don't see any point in putting a label on it - gay, bi, straight, any of those kind of labels.

'All that I feel happy about at the moment is that I'm dating a guy and couldn't be happier, it shouldn't matter who I'm dating and I hope people can be happy for me.'

The interview with Jonathan marks the first time Tom has spoken about his sexuality, aside from the YouTube video message he posted earlier this week revealing his relationship.

And of announcing the news via the video-sharing site, Tom said: 'It was a terrifying decision to make, I didn't know what the reaction was going to be like, I didn't know how it was going to go but I felt I needed to say something.

'I wanted to say something in my own words and from the heart, I didn't know what else to do.'



Now a role model for young teenagers who are confused about their sexuality, Tom offered them advice by saying: 'Tell one person. Tell your story, how you feel. I've had people send some lovely Twitter messages with people telling me they've since come out to their parents, that they've had some hope, it shouldn't matter who I'm dating in this day and age. Be who you want to be.'

Also filming interviews for Saturday night's show were Jack Dee, Olivia Colman, Ellie Goulding and Professor Brian Cox.

The Jonathan Ross Show airs on ITV1 on Saturday night.

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Word News © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Thanks to curly hairstyles
Top