I think it definitely helps when people in sport come out, and the fact that someone as popular as Tom Daley has made an announcement will help enormously to change attitudes in general, and particularly to combat homophobia in sport.

The way he did it was tremendous. I watched the YouTube video this morning and the way he spoke about his experiences, he just came across as a genuine, down to earth guy. "It's very important that when you decide to tell people, you tell them in your own way and when you're ready. If YouTube was the most comfortable way for Tom to do that and put it out there, then I think that was the right thing to do and that it was a very brave and wise decision.

It's difficult for him, as someone who is very famous, not just in Britain but across the world. Once you are in the public eye, you do think of how people are going to react; what are people going to say? "I'm sure he was worried about people's responses - both from inside of his sport and outside of his sport, and also the general public. It's hard enough for any 19-year-old to come out about being in a same-sex relationship, let alone somebody so well-known, but I think he will find the response will be hugely positive.

"When I came out as the first gay professional in rugby, I found that most players and people involved with the sport were very accepting - apart from the odd one or two - and I think it helped change players' and fans' perspectives of what it is to be a gay man or woman in sport, and how it doesn't change an individual's ability or impact at all on their professionalism.

"If Tom was to ask for any advice, I would tell him to just be himself, and if he does come across any negativity or idiots on Twitter, to ignore them. I am sure the overwhelming majority of the response will be supportive; he shouldn't take it personally if a few trolls decide to say something disgraceful.

"Of course it is news whenever anybody comes out in sport, because there are hardly any out players or managers, and I hope Tom's decision this morning will contribute to more sportsmen and women believing that they can be open about who they are.

"It is huge news, but I do think that the real shift will come when a high profile footballer comes out, but Tom's decision will have made that more rather than less likely.

Tom has such a big fan base because of who he is, his personality, and what he has achieved at such a young age. I have no doubt he has done what is best for himself. I think everybody will have huge respect for him. I wish him all the best, the more people who follow his example, the better. Nigel Owens contributed to the book It's Ok to be Gay, published by Accent Press Ltd, £9.99 (ebook £4.99)

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Word News © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Thanks to curly hairstyles
Top