Rappers J. Cole and Drake have both issued apologies over the offensive lyrics on their new track 'Jodeci Freestyle," due to the outrage they caused after calling those suffering from autism "retards" on the song.

The US hip-hop stars premiered the song earlier this month but they quickly received backlash from fans over the controversial lyrics which poke fun at those suffering from the disability which affects the way people communicates and relates to those around them.


J. Cole has admitted he made a "mistake" poking fun at autism on 'Jodeci Freestyle' (FayesVision/WENN)

"Go check the numbers dummy, that's just me gettin' started/ I'm artistic, you n**gas is autistic, retarded," the lyric reads.


After intense backlash, J. Cole, who is signed to Jay-Z's Roc Nation label, issued an apology admitting that he made a "mistake.


"I want to educate myself more on Autism, and I'll gladly own my mistake and serve as an example to today's generation that there's nothing cool about mean-spirited comments about someone with Autism," J. Cole wrote on his blog DreamVillain.


"People with this disorder and their loved ones have to go through so much already, the last thing they need is to hear something as ignorant as what I said."


Young Money star Drake also admitted that both he and J. Cole have learnt from the issue, saying in a blog post: "This was a learning lesson for both of us, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to try to right this wrong."


Drake has also issued an apology for causing offence (Adriana M. Barraza/WENN.com)

US TV host Holly Robinson Peete, whose son is autistic, was shocked that the rappers would make fun of the disability and said during a recent appearance on Access Hollywood: "This was first brought to my attention by my son, who is 15, with autism, loves J.Cole, loves Drake. He brought it (up) to me, because he looks at all the lyrics.


"He said, 'Mum what does this mean?' And I was so devastated when I read it, I had to read it like five times and try to find some other context where this could make sense, 'cause everything I know about J. Cole is that he's a very intelligent man, he went to college, he graduated top of his class.


She added: "He's a very smart rapper and I understand the artistic expression and everything, but this right here is so irresponsible. It hurt my feelings so much."




www.yahootrend.com

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Word News © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Thanks to curly hairstyles
Top